Ocena teme:
  • 11 Glas(ov) - 4 Povprečje
Zaostritev EU zakonodaje o orožju
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for writing to me about the proposal to amend the EU legislation on the control and possession of weapons (The "Firearms" directive).

As you are aware on 18th November 2015, the European Commission proposed amendments to the current EU Directive which has been in place since 1991 and which was last reviewed in 2008. This new proposal includes elements that will improve the sharing of registers across borders between Member States and enhance the marking and tracking of weapons, particularly prohibited weapons.

It also covers this legal loophole relating to the firearms used in the Charlie Hebdo attacks which had been reconverted from “blank-firing” acoustic firearms into live firearms in Slovakia. UK deactivation standards would not have let this be possible.

However, a number of concerns have been raised about the new proposals as currently drafted, not least the absence of an impact assessment and the lack of clarity of some of the language. These concerns have come from museums, collectors, re-enactors, those involved in the film industry, "airsoft", sports shooters and those using firearms for pest control as well as military reservists in some countries.

Given this, I volunteered to lead the European Parliament's work on this file, which involves scrutinising the Commission's proposal and proposing amendments where necessary. It is completely normal for MEPs to propose amendments to any proposal from the Commission.

In my report, which you can read here, I am recommending that instead of following the Commission approach, the status quo should be maintained wherever there is insufficient evidence to justify a change to the directive. I have made proposals to clarify the scope of the directive by tightening definitions, in particular the issues of blank-firers and replicas, as well as clearer language for museums, collectors and the special cases when possession of category A 'prohibited' firearms should be permitted. I have recommended to reject the Commission's proposal to ban semi-automatic firearms which resemble firearms with automatic mechanisms on the grounds that some Member States have tried to implement this category but with little success. In addition, I've proposed language to reflect the fact that many Member States already have requirements on safe storage and medical checks. With regard to information sharing, I do believe that more could be done to ensure that important information, such as when authorisation has been refused, is shared between Member States.

At the same time as the Commission proposed changes to the Firearms Directive, the 28 countries of the EU (the “Member States”) adopted a new Regulation setting standards for deactivation of firearms (the “Deactivation Regulation”). This is due to apply to all deactivated firearms placed on the market from 8th April 2016. As this has been adopted by the countries concerned, the Parliament does not have a form legal role in this process. However, I am aware that there are many concerns about the logistics and practicalities regarding the new standards and I have urged Member States to give more clarity urgently on how they intend to implement the Deactivation Regulation. I have suggested a range of options of possible future amendments to deal with concerns about the Deactivation Regulation which have been raised to me by law enforcement and other stakeholders.

My report will be debated by MEPs in the Internal Market Committee on 21st April. The following day, MEPs will then have the opportunity to table their own suggestions, which I will endeavour to consolidate into compromise proposals wherever possible. I hope that by the end of June, the committee will have voted on the report, which will then become the basis for discussions with Member States in the Council. I understand that this is a priority for the Council so it is likely that these discussions will begin in September.

I will endeavour to keep members of the public updated as this legislation progresses through regular press releases. Please do check my website.

Yours sincerely,

Vicky Ford MEP
Odgovori

Prispevkov v tej temi
RE: Zaostritev EU zakonodaje o orožju - od spe7 - 26-11-2015, 12:50
RE: Zaostritev EU zakonodaje o orožju - od Klemenc - 05-04-2016, 13:56

Uporabnikov, ki berejo to temo: 44 Gost(ov)